The road to a good education often requires financial help along the way. SFPCU supports the education goals of our first responder members and their families by providing Student Loans that bridge the gap between federal aid and the rising cost of college tuition.
Features & Benefits
- Competitive interest rates
- Borrow between $2,000 and $25,000 per year for undergraduate and graduate programs
- 30-day, no-fee return policy allows you to change your mind with no penalty
- Zero origination fees for all qualified student borrowers
- Quick approval after we receive your completed application
- Low monthly payments means you are only required to pay $25 in monthly good faith payments during the deferment period* while attending school at least half-time
Student Loans are offered through a partnership with LendKey. Private student loans should be used as supplemental funding after exhausting all other sources of financial aid, including grants, scholarships, and federal student loans. Federal loans offer more attractive terms when compared to most other borrowing options, including private student loans. For more information on federal loans, visit http://www.fafsa.ed.gov.
*Deferment lasts while student is enrolled in school at least half-time and includes a 6-month Grace Period once the student leaves school. Any unpaid accrued interest is capitalized (or added) to the outstanding loan amount once at the end of the Deferment Period. After Deferment, the borrower enters repayment status and is responsible for making full interest and principal payments. The full repayment period begins six months after you graduate, are enrolled in school less than half-time, or you leave school.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Am I eligible for a loan?
A: You must be an SFPCU member, as well as a US citizen or permanent resident, enrolled least half-time in an eligible school, at least 18 years old, and meet minimum credit requirements. If you are not a member of SFPCU, you may still apply for a loan. However, you must establish membership prior to final approval and funding. [“membership” links to the Become a Member page]
Q: What is the importance of a cosigner?
A: Applying with a credit-worthy cosigner increases your chances of approval and may lead to a lower loan rate.
Q: What are some tips to keep in mind?
A: Remember to get started early, exhaust all federal loan options, and request only the amount you need for the current academic period.
To qualify for an SFPCU Student Loan you must be:
- An SFPCU member
- 18 years of age or older
- Enrolled at least half-time in a degree-granting program at an eligible school
- Borrower or co-signer must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
Rely on SFPCU’s Student Loans to cover educational expenses that extend beyond your resources. Apply today for a student loan.